Buildings Mechanic Assistant- Part-time
Assist Buildings Mechanics with the upkeep of the physical plant of The Morton Arboretum, which includes HVAC, plumbing, potable water, sprinkler, pumping stations, and electrical systems. 20 + hours a week on a rotating schedule.
- Assist with maintenance of heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, and kitchen equipment located in Arboretum buildings.
- Assist with installation and maintenance of plumbing systems, piping, and underground pumping stations, and when required, setup temporary plumbing for special events.
- Assist with maintenance of irrigation wells, potable water, and sprinkler systems.
- Perform a schedule for preventative maintenance and inspection of plant equipment.
- Assist in locating Arboretum underground utilities for internal and external needs.
- Coordinate setup of electrical requirements for special events.
- Assist with inventorying parts, plumbing supplies, controls of equipment, etc.
- Perform basic electrical system and lighting repairs.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent with a strong mechanical aptitude. Currently enrolled and in pursuit of an Associate's degree in HVAC and certification of refrigerant recovery required. Practical experience in heating, plumbing, electrical, ventilating and/or pumping equipment preferred. Basic understanding of waterline maintenance, and construction preferred. Ability to work from blueprints, drawing layouts, or other specifications in order to locate and diagnose problems in mechanical systems or equipment required. Familiarity with a variety of hand-tools, measuring devices, and testing instruments required. Must possess a valid driver’s license, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report. Basic computer proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google applications beneficial. May have exposure to blood borne pathogens as a result of job duties. Optional vaccination (Hepatitis B vaccine) will be made available.
Ability to produce high quality workmanship and be flexible, self-motivated, neat, and safety-conscious in use of tools. Good communication skills. Ability to embrace and operate in line with our employee core values to take ownership, work together, keep learning and make the Arboretum exceptional.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires significant amount of physical activity: some lifting and carrying (up to 75 lbs.), bending, climbing (up to 16 ft.), pushing, pulling, standing, walking, kneeling, and traveling by vehicles. Sense of vision, hearing and smell in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
- Work Environment: Work is performed in a combined indoor and outdoor setting.
- Equipment: General HVAC equipment, plumbing tools, hand and power tools, test instruments, locating equipment, ladders, lift truck, Arboretum van and truck, two-way radio, general office equipment.
- Schedule: Will require some evening and weekend work. Must be willing to respond to emergency situations involving building maintenance equipment.
All Arboretum employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of that status in order to maintain their employment.
The Morton Arboretum is a champion of diversity, supporting a culture of inclusion that attracts, inspires, and engages people to achieve success. The Arboretum is committed to hire and develop employees based on job-related qualifications irrespective of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status. To increase diversity in professions related to the public garden realm, we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The Morton Arboretum is dedicated to complying with our obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants are guaranteed equal consideration for employment.
Loading Job Application......