Equipment Mechanic Intern
This position is for students in pursuit of an Associate's degree in Automotive Service Technology at College of DuPage.
Position Summary: Assist Equipment Mechanics with the upkeep of the rolling fleet and grounds maintenance equipment including all vehicles, mowers, and small engines that are the property of The Morton Arboretum.
- Assist with maintenance of equipment used in the up-keep of the Arboretum grounds, including ordering and procuring parts, replacing worn out or defective parts, sharpening mower and chipper cutting blades, and repairing tires.
- Assist with preventive maintenance by following manufacturers' service schedules, changing fluid, filters and screens, making adjustments per specifications, and checking for possible problems and repairing before failure.
- Assist in inventorying parts, supplies and equipment.
- Maintain clean vehicles and shop areas.
- Demonstrate alignment with the Arboretum’s employee core values to be inclusive, take ownership, work together, keep learning, and make the Arboretum exceptional.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent with a strong mechanical aptitude. In pursuit of an Associate's degree in Automotive Service Technology at College of DuPage. Basic mechanical skills and understanding of hydraulic and pneumatic systems preferred. Ability to install parts and familiarity with vehicle lifts, jacks, drills and air tools required. Ability to understand equipment operator manuals. Ability to learn and use the existing work order software system required. Must possess a valid driver’s license, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report. Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google applications is beneficial.
Ability to work effectively with persons internal and external to the Arboretum. Ability to problem solve and prioritize. Proficiency with computers, technology, vehicle scanners, and work order systems.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The characteristics described here are representative to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires significant amount of physical activity: limited lifting and carrying (up to 50 lbs.), bending, climbing (up to 5 ft.), pushing, pulling, standing, walking, kneeling, and traveling by vehicles. Vision in the normal visual range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
- Work Environment: Work is performed in a combined indoor and outdoor setting.
- Equipment: Construction equipment, general auto mechanic equipment, production mowing equipment, snow removal equipment, truck, carts and other fleet vehicles, hand and power tools, two-way radio, general office equipment.
The Morton Arboretum is a champion for diversity, supporting a culture of inclusion that attracts, inspires, and engages people to achieve success. The Arboretum is committed to hire and develop employees based on job-related qualifications irrespective of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status. To increase diversity in professions related to the public garden realm, we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The Morton Arboretum is dedicated to complying with our obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants are guaranteed equal consideration for employment.
Loading Job Application......