Gatehouse Attendant - Temporary
The Morton Arboretum is a world-renowned nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and growing trees locally and globally. We are seeking a gatehouse attendant to join our team to greet members and visitors as they enter the Arboretum’s front entrance. The successful candidate will be able to provide information to guests, collect/record attendance data, collect admission fees, while maintaining a welcoming presence. You’ll be part of a very special front-facing team working together to make the Arboretum exceptional.
Position Summary: As the primary point of arrival for visitors and guests at the Gatehouse, provide information, collect and record attendance data, and collect admission fees while maintaining a welcoming presence.
- Greet visitors in a friendly and welcoming manner. Collect and accurately record attendance data. Distribute appropriate Arboretum literature, answer questions, and provide information to visitors. Direct guests quickly and efficiently through the Arboretum’s front entrance.
- Conduct accurate retail transactions at the Gatehouse such as collecting general admission fees. Direct visitors and guests to the appropriate location for events/programs and staff appointments.
- Articulate accurate and timely information on Arboretum programs, policies, mission and goals. Remain knowledgeable about Arboretum programs, policies, and upcoming events.
- Respond to emergency situations by sharing information with other Gatehouse Attendants as necessary. Coordinate with Security staff to properly direct emergency vehicles.
- Modify Gatehouse staffing levels in response to changing weather and visitation needs.
- Learn and utilize required software systems including point-of-sale, payroll, scheduling software, and Google-based email and applications.
- Cross-train in other areas of Visitor Services as needed.
- Seasonally, utilize point-of-sale ticketing software to enable admission processes at other locations, such as the Visitor Center and amongst slow-moving vehicles in the entrance drive.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent required. 1+ years in customer service required. Basic math/bookkeeping skills are required in order to handle money accurately and efficiently. Must develop familiarity with Arboretum programs, people, mission, goals, facilities, and grounds. Must present professional image to the public by following the Arboretum/Visitor Services dress code. Must be comfortable walking amongst slow moving vehicles while communicating information, tracking members, receiving and recording attendance, and collecting admission fees. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, a point-of-sale system, and Google applications beneficial. Spoken Spanish language ability a plus.
Success Factors: Find satisfaction and be energized by working with the public. Self-motivated and able to perform duties with limited supervision. Customer service-oriented individual who is able to relate effectively with people of various ages and backgrounds. Ability to problem-solve quickly and on the spot, while remaining professional. Assertive with the ability to maintain composure and a friendly manner with guests, especially in periods of high visitation, conflict, and emergencies. Ability to embrace and align with the organization’s employee core values to be inclusive, take ownership, work together, keep learning and make the Arboretum exceptional.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity: limited lifting (up to 30 lbs.), standing for long periods of time (up to 5 hours), and walking.
- Work Environment: Gatehouse building at entrance to the Arboretum. Work is performed in a combined indoor/outdoor setting and requires the ability to work in all weather conditions. Workload ranges from very slow periods to very busy periods of visitation. This position requires regular on-site presence.
- Equipment: General office equipment, point-of-sale system, handheld barcode scanner, two-way radio, electronic safe, circuit breakers for parking lot lighting system.
- Schedule: Flexible schedule required. Shifts may vary between 6:30 am and 8:00 pm and require some weekend and holiday hours. Work schedules are based on Arboretum needs and may be adjusted due to weather or special events.
The hiring rate for this position is $15.00/hour
The Morton Arboretum is a champion for diversity, supporting a culture of inclusion that attracts, inspires, and engages people to achieve success. The Arboretum is committed to hire and develop employees based on job-related qualifications irrespective of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status. To increase diversity in professions related to the public garden realm, we encourage applications from underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The Morton Arboretum is dedicated to complying with our obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants are guaranteed equal consideration for employment.
Loading Job Application......