Navy Pier is the People’s Pier, Chicago’s lakefront treasure, welcoming all and offering dynamic and eclectic experiences through partnerships and programs that inspire discovery and wonder.
The Accounting Manager will play a significant role in helping the organization make timely financial decisions. This individual will work closely with other departments and help them think critically about financial analysis and process improvements while serving as an example to their direct reports and Navy Pier at large. The Accounting Manager will report to and work closely with the Controller and others in the organization in the development of accounting policies, procedures, and controls.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage a variety of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, bank reconciliations, and monthly financial analyses.
- Collaborate with Resource Development on recording pledges, grant management and compliance.
- Assist with successfully completing the year-end audit and tax preparation.
- Act as liaison to key partners with business units: ABM (parking), Spectra (meetings and conventions), Levy (food and beverage), and Hornblower (rides and attractions). Prepare journal entries for respective business units.
- Respond to inquiries from the senior staff regarding accounting and financial issues.
- Prepare bank reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Ensure the accounts receivable processes are operating effectively, including timely invoicing and collection follow-up.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Document accounting policies and processes, as needed.
- Provide backup assistance to other accounting functions, as needed.
- Support the mission of Navy Pier and upholds organizational priorities as stated.
- Strong working knowledge of US GAAP, audit procedures, internal controls, and financial reporting, required.
- Must have excellent math skills and attention to details.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all departments and levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently, as a self-starter, and with minimal direct supervision.
- Strong aptitude for technology. Ability to develop technology-based solutions to streamline and improve processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university is required.
- CPA strongly preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in public accounting and/or financial management at large not-for-profit organizations.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is required to;
- Regularly talk or hear.
- Frequently stand; walk; use hands to fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
This is primarily a remote position, though regular visits to Navy Pier’s administrative offices will be required (current thinking is once per week). The selected candidate must establish an appropriate work environment within his or her home which is conducive to remote work. This individual should have a workstation which includes a phone, reliable high-speed internet connection, and allows for privacy.
Loading Job Application......