Lincoln Park Zoo inspires communities to create environments where wildlife will thrive in our urbanizing world. The zoo is a leader in local and global conservation, animal care and welfare, learning, and science. A historic Chicago landmark founded in 1868, the not-for-profit Lincoln Park Zoo, is a privately-managed, member-supported organization and is free and open 365 days a year. Visit us at lpzoo.org.
Provide technical assistance to the veterinary department.
- Under general supervision, assists veterinarians in the medical care of the animal collection including all species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates.
- Under general supervision, assists veterinarians in training activities related to the medical care of the animal collection as above.
- Administers anesthesia under the direction of a veterinarian, monitors said animals under general anesthesia, and assists in surgery.
- Assists in veterinary and animal emergencies.
- Supervises and performs cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of surgical instruments, equipment, and hospital and operating areas to maintain zoo hospital in a clean and orderly condition.
- Performs other related duties required by veterinarians to maintain and operate the hospital safely and efficiently.
- Operates the diagnostic laboratory, including, but not limited to, hematology, biochemistry analysis, cytology, and parasitology.
- Prepares biological specimens for shipment.
- Organizes and maintains pharmacy including rotating inventory, removing expired products, and ordering pharmaceuticals and supplies, under the direction of veterinarians.
- Operates and maintains radiographic equipment.
- Dispenses and administers medications and vaccinations as prescribed by veterinarians.
- Assist with post-mortem examinations through necropsies, cleaning, waste removal, or sample handling.
- Maintains accurate records, including computer entry for Tracks or similar programs.
- Assists with coordination of the activities of veterinary and veterinary technician students, volunteers, and other individuals as directed by zoo veterinarians.
- Assists in any special maintenance project as required.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of occupational hazards involved and the safe work practices to employ while in proximity of potentially dangerous animals or substances.
- Assist in educational and/or research programs as requested.
- Assist in preparation and presentation of training programs for zoo volunteers and new employees as requested.
- Conduct tours for visitors and volunteers as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow oral and written instructions, and otherwise communicate effectively and efficiently with co-workers and supervisors.
- Knowledge of computer programs of basic word processing, spreadsheets, and internet database access.
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, our visitors, and the general public.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the zoo’s mission and philosophy
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in emergency situations and to respond with appropriate action
- Good skill in safe operation of veterinary equipment including but not limited to restraint, remote injection, radiography and other imaging, and surgical, monitoring and anesthetic equipment
- Good interpersonal skills including ability to get along with diverse groups with tact and maturity.
- Ability to represent Lincoln Park Zoological Society in a professional manner at all times
- Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with visitors and general public
Graduation from an AVMA-accredited school of veterinary technology.
- Preference will be given to those individuals with a least one year of experience as a veterinary technician, preferably with exotic or zoo animals, and especially with internship experience in the latter.
- Note: A comparable combination of education, experience or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills and ability required may qualify an individual provided the individual can be certified as a veterinary technician in the State of Illinois.
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time
- Ability to traverse zoo grounds without vehicle
- Ability to handle and restrain zoo animals
- Ability to perform a variety of physical tasks that include but are not limited to climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, crawling
- The employee will be regularly exposed to water, chemicals, and potentially loud noises.
- Physical strength, including ability to regularly move 30 lb objects and occasionally move 50 lb objects
- Ability to work in small, confined spaces
- Ability to work in all weather conditions – including potentially adverse conditions
- Ability to wear requisite Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that may include rubber/latex gloves, masks, eye goggles and airway protection
- No allergy related to plants or animals that may interfere with the ability to work
- No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch balance or ability of movement that might interfere with ability to work
- Ability to maintain immune response to exposure to infectious and parasitic diseases
Available to work any of seven days of the week or special needs or events that may occur outside of regular work schedule, including evenings, weekends or holidays, as required. Non-infectious tuberculosis status via intradermal skin test, thoracic radiographs, or treatment regimen. Current Rabies vaccinations and COVID-19 vaccinations as required by the department.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
- Certified as a veterinary technician in the State of Illinois or similarly certified in another state and must obtain Illinois license within thirty (30) days from start date.
- Maintain said certification appropriately with continuing education and ethics.
- Valid IL driver’s license and able to maintain a good driving record.
Lincoln Park Zoo is committed to an environment that is inclusive and welcoming. We celebrate the diverse qualities, perspectives, values and experiences of all people. For Wildlife. For All.
Loading Job Application......