PMCTrack Coordinator, AZA Population Management Center
Lincoln Park Zoo inspires communities to create environments where wildlife will thrive in our urbanizing world. The zoo is a leader in local and global conservation, animal care and welfare, learning, and science. A historic Chicago landmark founded in 1868, the not-for-profit Lincoln Park Zoo, is a privately-managed, member-supported organization and is free and open 365 days a year. Lincoln Park Zoo is committed to an environment that is inclusive and welcoming. We celebrate the diverse qualities, perspectives, value, and experiences of all people. For Wildlife. For All. Visit us at lpzoo.org.
The PMCTrack Coordinator is part of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA)’s Population Management Center (PMC) based at Lincoln Park Zoo. They will collaborate with a strong and dynamic existing team of scientists within the PMC and scientists and animal managers at facilities across AZA. The position is responsible for managing the work associated with the PMCTrack software and assisting the cooperatively managed animal programs (Species Survival Plans® (SSPs) and SAFE Programs) in AZA. PMCTrack software is used by the AZA community to store breeding and transfer recommendations across many cooperatively managed species and collect survey on wants and needs or outcomes from recommendations. The selected candidate will assist the AZA PMC with day to day administration, troubleshoot software, provide customer service to the AZA community, and assist with research projects utilizing recommendation data as time allows.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serve as the primary contact for PMCTrack-related needs of the AZA community
- Assist AZA users with PMCTrack operations, including help desk and troubleshooting, running of standard analyses to clean-up data in preparation for planning, sending data to key users in preparation for Species Survival Plan (SSP) planning (SSP Coordinators, PMC/Adjuncts), and setting up and managing wants/needs and outcomes surveys for SSP Coordinators and SAFE Programs as they prepare to plan
- Perform key PMCTrack support for all users (e.g., SSP or SAFE Coordinators, TAG Chairs, IRs, ILs, Population Biologists), including preparation of help materials, outreach and training, and managing regular syncing of AZA and PMCTrack datasets
- Work with PMC and AZA users to identify high priority improvements or bugs in PMCTrack, and then work with programmers to assist with debugging and testing
- Assist AZA’s Animal Population Management (APM) Committee with PMCTrack data-related queries and reporting, including presenting data summaries, as needed
- Collaborate with AZA’s Reproductive Management Center (RMC), APM Comm., and AZA office, as requested
- Support the RMC through extraction and interpretation of Reproductive Viability Analysis PMCTrack data
- Provide PMCTrack-related curriculum and training in AZA’s Population Management 1 and Population Management 2 courses, which train zoo and aquarium professionals
- Travel and professionally represent the PMC, AZA, and Lincoln Park Zoo at meetings and scientific conferences.
- Work as a member of the PMC administrative team to support the PMC and integration of PMCTrack into regular operations
- Participate in PMCTrack-related research projects, as time allows
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director of the AZA PMC at Lincoln Park Zoo
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to master new skills and software quickly.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including comfort with speaking publicly to a variety of audiences, presenting at professional meetings and representing Lincoln Park Zoo and AZA professionally.
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with PCs.
- Customer service minded and able to provide high quality assistance to the AZA community and other colleagues.
- Analytically minded, take initiative and troubleshoot software and process challenges as they arise.
- Excellent organizational skills. Candidate must demonstrate an ability to initiate, coordinate and prioritize responsibilities and follow through on tasks and projects.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to work well with diverse people in the AZA community – tactful, mature, flexible. Able to facilitate large meetings with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive).
- Demonstrated abilities to work independently with minimal guidance and as part of a team toward common goals, and to coordinate efforts and collaborate with a variety of individuals.
- Familiarity with zoo population management, population biology concepts, and population biology software tools preferred but not required (PopLink, PMCTrack, ZIMS).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree required in the natural sciences, with experience in population ecology, conservation biology, and/or disciplines related to administration, communication, information technology and data management preferred.
- Experience with de-bugging and troubleshooting software strongly preferred.
- Experience with complex and large datasets, including clean-up and analysis, preferred.
- Experience in teaching or providing technical training to individuals or groups desirable.
- Strong interest in biology, conservation, and supporting the zoo’s mission.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Available to work special events that may occur outside of regular work schedule, including evenings, weekends or holidays, as assigned. Ability to travel to conferences to represent the PMC, AZA, and Lincoln Park Zoo.
- Provide proof of COVID 19 vaccination, or provide required material for medical exemption
- Complete work via a blend of remote working from home and in-person working in the office in Chicago.
Salary: low 40's
Lincoln Park Zoo is committed to an environment that is inclusive and welcoming. We celebrate the diverse qualities, perspectives, values and experiences of all people. For Wildlife. For All.
Loading Job Application......