Anthropology Registration Assistant
Chicago , IL
The Field Museum is a not-for-profit museum located on Chicago’s Museum Campus. In the Field's 125+ year history, which started in 1893 at the World’s Columbian Exposition in the “White City,” we have engaged in research on all seven continents, cultivated a collection of over 40 million specimens and objects, engaged with hundreds of thousands of students from Chicago and the surrounding areas, and welcomed millions of visitors to the Museum each year. We accomplish this through the efforts of our dynamic and diverse staff of not only scientists and educators, but also front line staff in Visitor Services and Membership, Protection Services, Facility Planning and Operations, as well as behind the scenes support staff.
The Field Museum is in search of two Anthropology Registration Assistants to join our team!
The two full-time (35 hours per week) Registration Assistants, funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities: American Rescue Plan, will work on the physical processing of Anthropology collections, consulting with registrars, collections managers, and conservators to determine the needs of each object. This essential work allows new acquisitions, including the current backlog, to be made accessible to researchers, communities, and the general public both in-person and online. This is a one-year position with paid time off and health benefits.
Applicants should provide a resume or CV, including the name and contact information for a reference, as well as a cover letter detailing their qualifications and experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete the physical processing of objects, including measuring, describing, labeling, photography, photograph processing, data entry, and creating custom housing for storage.
- May also assist collection managers with placing objects into permanent storage and updating locations in EMu, our collections database
- Ensure that past information entered into EMu is complete and accurate
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Anthropology, Museum Studies, or related field required
- At least one year of object handling experience in a museum setting required
- An understanding of best practices in museum registration and collections management and a knowledge of, and experience with, protocols for physical processing, including basic object photography and housing
- Must be organized (able to work on a variety of tasks and keep track of what has been completed), detail oriented (all of the processing steps, but especially labeling, photography, and housing, require precise and meticulous work), and have excellent time-management skills (able to complete processing steps within a defined schedule)
- Demonstrated computer proficiency with Microsoft Excel and with museum collections management databases, such as EMu
Important Note: In order to protect the health and safety of our employees, guests and their families, the Field Museum is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for exemptions from the vaccine will not be considered as given the nature of this position, we are unable to provide an accommodation for anyone who has not been vaccinated.
The Field Museum is an equal opportunity workplace and employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other protected class. We strive to create a working environment that is free of all forms of discrimination and one that promotes human dignity and mutual respect among all staff. We believe every member of our organization enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, to identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions.
The Field Museum strives to ensure that our career website and recruiting process are accessible to all. If you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our online application, or if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com.
Loading Job Application......