The Chicago Architecture Center is a nonprofit cultural organization with tours, exhibitions, programs, and events for all ages. Our mission is to inspire people to discover why design matters. The CAC is the leading organization devoted to celebrating and promoting Chicago as a center of architectural innovation. As Chicago's forum for the exchange of ideas on urban design, CAC inspires people to participate in the building of vibrant communities and to demand the highest standard in urban design.
*CAC employees are temporarily working remotely due to COVID-19*
The Web Designer and Content Specialist will contribute to CAC’s expanding suite of public-facing digital properties, including web properties, digital advertisements and displays, and e-commerce, as a critical member of CAC’s in-house Web Team.
This hands-on role requires a strong expertise and passion in web design and an understanding of digital content. This role will help support the stability and growth of CAC’s digital presence as it evolves to meet the future of museums and cultural institutions. Please note: this is not a development position.
- Work closely with Sr Manager of Web and E-commerce and Web Developer to advance UX/UI and overall visual design of CAC web properties, including architecture.org and openhousechicago.org
- Recommend improvements for both front-end user experience and back-end admin experience based on analytics, user testing, industry best practices, and design vision/experience
- Play a critical role in large-scale web projects with a focus on modernizing the experience and design of CAC properties over the long term
- Design digital advertising collateral, outbound emails, digital media boards, and other digital marketing materials
- Lead day-to-day website content updates across architecture.org and openhousechicago.org with assistance from others within the Marketing Department
- Work with content managers to identify appropriate photography for new content, prep images for the web, and assist in management of digital media platforms and assets
Additional Project Work and Responsibilities
- Collaborate closely with Web Developer to identify effective design solutions within the constraints of CAC web properties and CAC brand guidelines
- Clearly communicate strong design vision and rationale and make the case for specific design decisions and solutions
- Participate in meetings with internal and external stakeholders, user testing sessions, and other discovery efforts for new digital projects
- Develop rapid revisions/iterations of concepts as necessary
- Be a champion for the user; develop design solutions that delight as well as meet business objectives
- Participate in organization-wide and departmental initiatives focused on becoming a more equitable and inclusive organization
- Stay up-to-date on emerging UX/UI and visual design trends and best practices
Required Skills and Qualifications
- 2-4 years working in a digital content or design position
- Excellent visual design skills (typography and layout), including a natural understanding of brand aesthetic and ability to execute throughout different projects
- Familiarity and experience with responsive design and accessible design
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working with web-based content management systems
- Desire to stay current on industry software and design tools
- Excellent communication skills, open to accepting and providing feedback
- Close attention to visual and written details
- Ability to work efficiently under deadlines
- Commitment to promoting a welcoming and inclusive environment for colleagues, volunteers, and visitors/audience
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
- Familiarity with components of front-end build systems such as Less for CSS or Grunt for compilation
- Familiarity with collaboration tools such as Zeplin or Figma
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Asana, AirTable, etc.
- Experience with print design and/or video editing tools
For full consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, and portfolio of relevant web design work.
Loading Job Application......